UX Study case — Bus Direction (part 1)
It is my pleasure to give the warmest greeting to readers, my first article was How did I explain UX-UCD to my mom. I tried to explain what are UX and UCD to end-user.
Although the article has not virtually related to this post below.I’m just thinking it would be great whilst you try to explain something quite complex to your grammar/mother/your children, etc. If they could understand, you have a great mentoring skill and comprehend your topic.
Aw, I should go back to the main point. Today, I write a UX Study case — Bus Direction
My post encompasses two parts
Part 1: Which Project? → User Research → Conduct interview → Affinity Diagram
Part 2: Sketch → Wireframe and Prototype → Visual design (UI)
Improve public transportation systems in Saigon
Prepare a script for user interview
This was a part of my idea, not from the syllabus. So, I called it heuristic, I also got great feedback from that idea. Follow me if you do not mind 😊
Before I create the script I created a mind map to illustrate as much as possible all elements/factors related to Saigon bus system. It helps me to summarize the whole picture and capable to ask better questions.
Based on the mind map I created above, I texted the script
Hi, my name is Hoang Nguyen and I’m a user experience designer. I’m doing a project to improve the Saigon bus system. I would like to ask you some questions about those topics. Feel free to answer only what you feel comfortable sharing and if you have any other things you would like to add, don’t hesitate to stop me, even if you don’t think it’s necessary.
I’m going to use my phone to record the conversation so that I can pay attention to what you are saying and later make notes. Is that ok with you?
1. What’s your name? How does it spell?
2. How old are you?
3. Where are you from?
4. What do you do for a living?
5. How many times have you been in Saigon?
6. From here, imagine what steps that you would do if you want to go to Ben Thanh market by bus?
7. What do you think about the Saigon bus stop?
8. What do you think about the bus facilities?
9. How do you feel about the driver, fare seller, and passenger’s attitude?
10. What do you think about the bus route? Is it all around in Saigon?
11. How do you feel when do you transport by bus at rush hours and off-peak? Is there a huge difference?
12. How about the price? Have you ever buy a monthly ticket?
13. What differences between Saigon bus system and your country?
Is there anything else you would like to add to your Saigon bus transport system experience?
I interviewed 3 people with 2 foreigners and 1 Vietnamese, two of them are 25 years old and one is 40 years old in order to gather information about how to improve Saigon bus system. I made the interview at my friend’s hostel instead of bus stop because:
· I think the hostel is the places where I can find foreigners convey by bus
· Interviewed them inside the house is better than outside because the weather in Saigon is hot now. They would be more convenient.
· Avoid running for catching a bus, the interview might be interrupted.
I don’t know when I can arrive at my place. The traffic in Saigon is really chaos”
“What is better while I only spend $3 to travel all around Saigon by bus”
“The facilities are really worth for the price”
“The bus must have regulation for throwing garbage”
“The driver usually pushes the horn that makes me a headache”
“I don’t know what the bus stop I am standing called is”
“The fastest way to get the right bus number asks the local people”
· Fare seller and driver are friendly, helpful, always help to direct passenger.
· The price is very cheap; the facilities are quite great, really worth for that price.
· Have many bus stop, easy short walk to catch the bus.
· Waiting time for the bus is short, about 10 to 15 minutes per.
· AT bus sells a beverage on the bus.
A lot of passengers found it is convenient to use a bus in Saigon, very cheap but the information is showed at the bus stop that is not clear, made them confused and usually ask the local people for help.
No English translation on map table at the bus stop, the map is difficult to read
→ Create a bilingual map table, at least English language, need more zoom-in map